Research at UAb
Open, Innovative, Sustainable,
Recognized and Valued Worldwide
UAb, as the single public Distance Education university in Portugal, develops cutting-edge research in distance education, in strong articulation with the pedagogical offer of UAb, in its various scientific fields, based on solid institutional cooperation. Its RESEARCH POLICY (in Portuguese) is based on transparency, credibility, ethics, openness and innovation.
Objectives of UAb’s RESEARCH POLICY:
- Attract and value the best researchers;
- Valuing the UAb researcher;
- Promote the internationalization of research;
- Stimulating and valuing research activities in articulation with teaching;
- Promote greater articulation between the Research Units and UAb;
- Increase the visibility of research developed at UAb;
- Strengthen ethical principles and transparency in research;
- Promote the monitoring of the quantity and quality of research;
- Promote open and transparent research practices;
- Consolidate the transparency of knowledge anchored in the investigation carried out.
Within the scope of the Internal Quality Assurance System, UAb has a Research and Development Assessment and Improvement Committee (CAMID) whose competences are directly linked to compliance, monitoring and review of UAb’s research policy.
An important part of the commitment to Research is the dissemination of the knowledge generated, namely through publication in UAb’s institutional repository, the REPOSITÓRIO ABERTO. As part of its academic and scientific production, almost 3,000 publications by UAb researchers are also referenced in the ISI Web of Science (WoS) and Scopus databases.
RESEARCH WITH VALUE
Universidade Aberta (in Portuguese) is among the 13 Portuguese Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) that best meet the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) (in Portuguese), responding to the challenges of the 2030 Agenda, according to the Times Higher Education Impact 2022 ranking, published at the end of April 2022.
UAb stood out in the fulfillment of SDG 17 – Partnerships for the Implementation of Goals, once again achieving the best rating: 78.9 out of 100 (last year it got 71.5 out of 100).
UAb also excelled in the following four SDGs:
- SDG 4 – Quality Education
- SDG 5 – Gender Equality
- SDG 8 – Decent Work and Economic Growth
UAb is also one of the 27 Portuguese universities included in the U-Multirank, with Research being one of the most prominent areas, in which it obtained the Grade A in Indicators such as: Female Authors and Professional Publications.